Our volunteers are recruited on an ongoing basis, as we are always in need of dedicated and compassionate people who can fill the very special role of a “friend to our patients”.
To ensure that each of our patients and their caregivers receive the best service possible, each of our caregiver volunteers is required to participate in a 30 hour training program. This consists of ten, three hour sessions over a ten week period. The training is provided at no cost to the volunteer, and gives our new volunteers an opportunity to prepare for patient care. There are many topics covered with plenty of time for discussion.
Topics covered include:
- The role and responsibilities of a volunteer
- The needs of the dying person and their family
- Universal precautions
- The history, origins and role of the hospice
- HIV/AIDS awareness
- Funeral preparations
- Wills, advance directives and power of attorney
- Basic nursing techniques, and body mechanics.
The training concludes with a panel of seasoned volunteers, patients and/or their caregivers.
We rely on area professionals to deliver many of the training sessions to our volunteers. We provide two training programs per year, one each in the spring and the fall. Please call the office for more information.
If you feel able to give some of your spare time to ease the suffering of those who are terminally ill, we are always in need of volunteers. This could be in the capacity of working directly with patients, or fundraising. Please contact us for information about how you can become involved.
Special Thanks to our faithful, wonderful trainers:
John MacTavish, Ian Sullivan, Pam Pettigrew, Vicki Fulcher, Michelle Hutchison, Belleville Cemetery & Crematorium, Burke Funeral Home, and those who participated on the panel.
Other Volunteer Opportunities:
- Fundraising volunteers to assist with the many special events hosted throughout the year.
- Volunteers to staff our reception desk, Monday to Friday. Volunteer shifts are 8:30-12:30 & 12:30-4:30.
Please contact the office for volunteer opportunities.